Monday 25 March 2013

INDOMETHACIN: THE RAT POISON, HUMAN NSAID


I for a person seems to ramble a lot naturally, I explain history when allowed to. Hence, this blog has to be about my ramblings. To my readers, I really have been trying not to make the write ups too long but for now it seem to elude positivism.

Once when I was young I took a popular rat poison known as indocide (a yellow capsule) for pain during an ailment treatment, the spelling is according to pronunciation i knew then. It was an opportunity for me then because i have asked my dad why i had to take it and he had explained that humans could take it and not die. In my house, those days we also used it for rats disturbing the household's peace by loosening the capsule pack and pouring the powdered  content on foods like garri or dried fish and placing in corners for the rats to eat and die.

About a decade from the occurrence of the above narrated story, i have learnt about the mechanism of action of  the drug INDOMETHACIN. It is a Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drug (NSAID), with anti-inflammatory, anti-pyre tic, analgesic/ anti-pain and anti-coagulant effects. The anti- coagulant effect is what makes it usable as a rat poison.
Vitamin K is a very important component in blood clotting, its necessary for synthesis of clotting factors VII,IX,X and prothrombin. Indomethacin does kills the rat is by suppressing the growth of Vitamin K in the intestinal tract, where much of it is produced. With the Vitamin K production halted, it is only a matter of days until the rodent's Vitamin K stores are completely depleted. 4-hydroxycoumarin and indandione are also anticoagulants that have effect on rats. These chemicals cause trauma to the blood vessel walls, increasing the risk for damage and internal bleeding. When the rodents begin to bleed internally, there is no Vitamin K available to aid the  clotting process. The rodents die, usually within one to two days, from internal hemorrhaging. 
This is the preferred type of rat bait, as the antidote to ingestion by animals or humans is Vitamin K and i guess this explains why some rats do not die even after eating the poisoned food if they could find themselves foods rich in vitamin K to eat .

And then we have the annoying odour arising from their decay disturbing our peace again till they are either found and disposed off or dried completely if we can't find them. Then happy times again......

And now I would say knowledge is power. Lets search for it. Peace

52 comments:

  1. amazing.. nice findings though

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't agree with you.
    reason- the yellow capusle you talked about is called modified-release Capsules 75 mg, and Indomethacin has a high acute toxicity both for animals and for humans (12 mg/kg in rats and 50 mg/kg in mice), the average weight of a rat is 250-800grams which is less than a kilogram, therefore giving 75mg to a rat of 0.8kg with toxicity level of 12mg/kg is 6.5times the toxicity level, which is lethal therefore the rat dies almost instantly due to complicated severe acute toxicity. dr j.m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow capsules present a decade ago were commonly 25mg/50mg. Modified-release is a recent innovation.
      Every drug has its side effects. INDOMETHACIN when taken in large doses have lethal effects and that wasn't disputed in the write up above.
      In rats, it remain as discussed.

      Delete
    2. I Like this Omobusayo. I use INDOMETHACIN oftenly to kill rats in my feeds store. This explains why the rats die instantly. Infact, once I administer at night the next morning I don't see any rats. I prefer this method as opposed to conventional rat poisons coz if by mistake the Indocin poisoned rat finds its way in my chicken coop and they eat it they don't die.

      Delete
  3. Great! I've searched 4 dis 4 over an hour. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice I just saw a rat in my room and the only place close by is a pharmacy, although isn't this a prescription drug

    ReplyDelete
  5. heading home to cook sweet indomethacin for them sturbbon mice. muhahahahahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK this a good work man, so its biochem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were can I get it

    ReplyDelete
  8. my wife suggested i get indocin to deal with rat infestation at home.your rambling as lead to me gaining a little insight as to why ill get rat poison at the pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info. I've had issues with these Kwindi's for months. Looks like today they are going to meet their maker. Thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can indocin powder kill human ???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can indocin powder kill human ???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmmm. Yes it can. Please don't kill anyone.
    Nice Write up Augustina. And yes, I have a sneaky rat in my room. I'm a Med Student and it dawn on me awhile ago that Indocid was the common name for Indomethacin and I came online to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw my aunt put rat poison for dem rats. I check the pack and I see indomethacin written. I laugh at her coz I know from pharmco indomethacin is an NSAID but she was so convinced so I decided to look it up and I find out its the same drug...

      Delete
  13. Indocid should not be used on any human being, it can a human the way it kills rat. When the clotting factors in human are destroyed, the individual can bleed to death. It is as simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks just found out today its the same drug... Was wondering why my aunt was using an NSAID to kill rats

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have put up an amazing explanation to a neglected aspect.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Indocid should not be used on any human being, it can a human the way it kills rat. When the clotting factors in human are destroyed, the individual can bleed to death. It is as simple as that.

    النمل الابيض

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hv jux finished preparing their meal.
    I am his so scared nd uncomfortable with mice

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hv jux finished preparing their meal.
    I am his so scared nd uncomfortable with mice

    ReplyDelete
  20. What are other medicines which can kill rats?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It goes beyond just the clotting factor

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the info. I've always wondered how it works. Now I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been trying to kill this rats for weeks with indocin and it would not die. Only to learn that therr are some rats that are resistant to anticoagulant.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've used indocin before but I must confess it's very effective

    Ritah

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've used indocin before but I must confess it's very effective

    Ritah

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just prepared mine today I pray it works.i came online to check if the spelling was correct and here I am even more convince than I was before.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply wow!was challenged by a patient today on how the drug kills rats and yet in humans its safe.can't remember the explanation I gave

    ReplyDelete
  28. What effect dpes it have on pultry, rats are distubing my poultry

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just preparing the famous rat poison using tomatoes... Hope it works wonders. It's cold now and rats have been all over the car engine where it's warm. I'm worried they'll end up eating vehicle wiring and other plastic gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spread it a baby powder in ur car.am sure they run away

      Delete
  30. Great write up!. I have been having a pack of indomethacin for the past two weeks.Just this morning I decided to try it out. I used grains of rice and spread it on top. I pray it works.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Please if human uses this indomethacin and uses overdose just like it is being used to kill rats...hope they won't die...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why post an intellectuals document and then end it by an anonymous writer.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from Le_Meridian Funding Service She introduced me to this honest loan company who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com, they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this company and be saved.WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Educative and knowledgeable write-ups

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just used it and rats are rolling helplessly on the floor. Thanks for the educative write up.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!Visit my site when you have time สล็อ

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have a Lassa dog(indoor dog) in my house. Is it safe to use indocid with my dog indoors. What's the effect on dogs please?

    ReplyDelete
  39. @ Martha, kills dogs as well. Be carefull

    ReplyDelete